Preparation: 10 minutes. Marinating time: 1 to 6 hours.
I've made this strawberry and mango fruit salad a few times as a refreshing and light end to dinner parties where I tend to cook way too many nibbles, starters and main courses, leaving my guests too full for anything more substantial. The trick is the prepare it well in advance and let the flavours develop for a few hours in the fridge.
- 1 ripe mango, cut into chunks (see here for how to cut a mango into cubes)
- 1 punnet strawberries, rinsed & dried, with the stalks removed.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- A shot of tequila - I used a tequila reposada
- Chopped fresh mint, about 3 tablespoons
- Combine the mango and roughly quartered strawberries in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over the sugar and stir.
- Pour over the lime juice and tequila and stir again.
- Add half of the chopped mint, stir to combine, cover with cling film and pop in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before serving and stir in the remaining chopped mint.
- Serve in small bowls.
Serving suggestion: Stir together 3 heaped tablespoons of soured cream, 1 tablespoon of tequila and a teaspoon of honey to make a Tequila cream to spoon over the strawberry and mango salad.