Serves 2 as a light lunch
Preparation: 2 minutes. Cooking: 10 minutes.
I just knocked this up for a quick lunch and thought it was so nice that I'd post the recipe.
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- A small piece of saucisson sec, in small cubes (substitute chorizo, ham, etc)
- 2 tbsp pickled nopales (cactus), chopped
- Knob of butter
- 2 large eggs
- Salt & black pepper
- A pinch of dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- A couple of sprigs of fresh coriander
- A sprinkle of grated cheese
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Put an omelette pan on the stove on medium hear and add the butter.
- When the butter melts and sizzles add the shallot, jalapeno, nopales and saucisson sec to the pan and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl, add a pinch of salt, a large twist of black pepper and the dried oregano and beat together.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture into the pan. Leave to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Tear the sprigs of coriander and put on top of the omelette. Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Take the pan off the hob and put in under the grill - far enough from the heat source that it finishes off the cooking without burning the omelette.
- Remove from grill, cut into segments and serve.