Makes: 10 to 12 kofte.
Preparation: 5 minutes. Cooking: 15 minutes
These Turkish Cizbiz, or 'sizzling', kofte are cooked over grill and have a delicious barbecue taste. They are very quick, cheap and easy to make, and they pack a lot of flavour.
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 slices of stale bread, soaked in water & squeezed dry
- 4 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- large pinch of salt
- large twist of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Put the bread, shallots, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper & bicarbonate of soda in a food processor and blitz to a thick puree.
- Put the lamb into a mixing bowl, add the pureed ingredients and combine with your hands until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
- Wet your hands and take a lump of the mixture, roll it into a ball, flatten it and stick your thumb in one side to make a dimple. Repeat until you've made them all.
- Cook for 15 minutes on a medium hot barbecue grill, or under the grill in your oven. Turn every few minutes & watch out for flare ups.