In the short time I have been growing my own ingredients I have experienced a glut of produce in the summer, much of which can go to waste. To stretch the use of my harvest into the winter months I decided to buy a dehydrator in order to dry the excess and eat it later.
I've had a good chilli crop this year, plus I can buy bulk chillies from my friends at Edible Ornamentals so today I'm experimenting with drying a mixed batch that I just picked from the garden and greenhouse.
The process is quite simple:
- Wash the whole chillies in cold water
- Dry with a tea towel
- Slit with a kitchen knife and arrange on drying trays
- Pop them in the dehydrator and turn it on.
As it's the first try I've set the timer for 6 hours and put the temperature on maximum. If it needs a little extra drying then I'll let it run for longer.
I'm experimenting with a mix of jalapeno, serrano, habanero, serenade and a very mild chilli that I'm not sure of the name of.
You can see the results of the drying in part 2