Makes approx 12 tacos.
Preparation: 20 minutes. Cooking: 20 minutes.
It's mid July and I'm already taking heavy crops of chiles off the plants I bought from my friends at Edible Ornamentals. Time to cook up some spicy summer food.
This delicious recipe for Watermelon pork tacos varies slightly from one in the excellent book Food. Cookin it, Livin it, Lovin it by Guy Fieri. It's a refreshing twist on tacos, using oriental flavours, Romaine lettuce instead of tortillas and a mouthwatering watermelon salsa. My version uses chiles in the salsa to give an extra kick.
- 500g pork tenderloin, silverside removed & cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon dried onions
- 1 red chile (I used a ripe Jalapeno)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1 seeded, minced green chili (I used a Serenade, but Jalapeno or Serrano would work too)
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 75ml oilve oil
- 1.5 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 250g watermelon cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 250g cucumber, seeds removed cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 Haas avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 romaine lettuce head
- Put the pork in a bowl or ziplock bag. Whiz the other ingredients in a blender or food processor and pour over the pork. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine and whisk the vinaigrette ingredients. Place the salsa ingredients in a bowl and carefully fold in the vinaigrette. Chill.
- Trim the stalk and the green ends from the Romaine lettuce to give 4 to 5 inch long lettuce 'shells'.
- Preheat a grill / barbecue to medium heat. Remove pork from marinade and place on the grill, cooking for 5 to 7 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Check for doneness. If necessary, return to grill - pork must be cooked thoroughly but not dry. Roughly chop the cooked pork into 1/2 inch slices and chunks.
- Fill the lettuce shells with the pork and top with salsa. Chow down.