Serves - a lot
Preparation: 20 minutes. Cooking: 6 hours.
I bought a couple of pork shanks from the supermarket and smoked them along with the spare ribs that I had for dinner last night. After smoking I popped the shanks in a slow cooker overnight so that the meat was tender and pulled straight off the bone this morning. As my son is camping in a tent in the garden with one of his friends tonight, I thought I'd make some proper camping food - and these pork and beans should really hit the spot.
- Meat from 2 smoked pork shanks, stripped and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 200g Chair de Tomate (chopped tomatoes in rich pulp)
- 2 x 410 gram tins of Haricot beans, drained
- 150g molasses sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Generous squeeze of tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Fry the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan until translucent.
- Add all of the other ingredients and stir to combine while they come up to the boil.
- Transfer to slow cooker (crock pot) on low heat setting.
- Cook for a minimum of 6 hours on low, or put the heat up to medium to cook sooner.
Serving suggestion: Form the wagons in a circle and keep the women and children under cover.