Serves: 2 to 4 as a side salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes. Marinating time: at least 30 minutes.
This is a quick and easy side salad that goes well with Turkish food, such as Adana kebabs and many other dishes. The optional Pomegranate Molasses gives an added bittersweet flavour and is used widely in Turkish cuisine.
- 2 onions (white or red)
- 1 tsp sumac
- Generous pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pomegranate molasses (optional)
- Slice the onions thinly & place in a bowl
- Mix in the sumac, salt & a twist or two of ground black pepper.
- Squeeze on the lemon juice and add, if you have it, about a teaspoon of pomegranate molasses.
- Stir to combine the flavours, cover and put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving.