Preparation time: 30 minutes. Cooking time: 30 minutes.
Beyaz Pilaf is one of many delicious Turkish rice dishes that are used to accompany grilled meats and fish. The butter is an important taste component of this dish.
- 250ml long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon of currants
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 500ml chicken stock
- Large pinch of salt
- Large pinch of sugar
Note: I measure rice by volume as it's then easy to calculate the correct amount of cooking liquid to add. I use twice the volume of liquid to rice unless I'm also using wet ingredients (such as tomatoes) in which case I cut back to 1.5 times the water to rice.
- Soak the currants in hot water for 30 minutes. Rinse under cold water & set aside.
- Rinse the rice in cold water to wash away a lot of the starch. Drain & reserve.
- In a saucepan, sauté the pine nuts in the butter until golden brown.
- Add the rice and currants and stir for a minute or so to combine.
- Add the stock, sugar and salt. Stir briefly and cover.
- Cook over low to medium heat for about 10 minutes until the liquid is absorbed into the rice.
- Remove from heat and stand, covered for another 20 minutes before serving. In this time the rice continues to cook in the pan.
- Using a fork, fluff up the rice before serving.