Preparation 15 minutes, cooking time approx 20 minutes
Rice is cooked with spring onion and Pasilla chile powder to give it an authentic Mexican twist.
- 250ml long grain rice (measuring the rice by volume, rather than weight, makes this a simple recipe)
- 500ml water
- 1 salad onion (scallion)
- 1 tsp Pasilla chile powder
- 2 tbsp oil or butter
- Salt, to taste
- Rinse the rice in cold water several times to wash away a lot of the starch. This helps the rice grains stay separated and also reduces the change of the rice sticking to the pan.
- Add oil to a pan and heat.
- Add finely chopped salad onion to the pan and fry for two minutes. I use the whole salad onion, including the green leaves.
- Add the Pasilla chile powder and the drained rice to the pan and stir for three minutes so that the rice absorbs some of the oil, onion and chile powder flavours.
- Add the water, bring to the boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- After 10 minutes turn off the hob and leave the rice to cook through in its own heat. This is the best way to prevent sticking.